Most Recent Posts

Live Well, Age Well


There's no doubt about it, as each day dawns, we are one day older.
Do you find this exciting or depressing?

We live in a time when aging is looked on as something to fear. Let's face it, there are a lot of old people out there that have really poor health.


Why is that? It didn't used to be that way.
What's changed?
Does it have to be that way?
Is there anything I can do to change this trend or are we permanently stuck?


I'll answer these questions in just a minute, but first lets address another important fallacy.



It's easy to get caught up in the thought process of never wanting to get old. If we stop and think seriously about that for a moment and look at what that would really mean in our lives, never aging can be pretty gloomy.



Nothing would change

Remember the story Tuck Everlasting? It's about a family that accidentally drank water from a spring of water that was actually a fountain of youth. For hundreds of years they never changed and for hundreds of more years they would never change. One of my favorite scenes is when the father is explaining to a young girl who wanted to drink from the fountain of youth and join them. This is the fathers counsel to her,  



"Don't be afraid of death....be afraid of an unlived life.
You don't have to live forever, you just have to live."

Instead of wishing our time away and wasting precious energy wanting to live forever, lets learn to live well today. Let's live healthy and happy now! For me, getting older has so many advantages. When someone asks me how old I am I'm proud to say that I'm 54 years old and lovin' it. I can look back at all the mistakes I've made and be grateful I don't have to go through that again. Life has taught me so many valuable lessons....wisdom is a big blessing that comes from getting older.

Have you ever heard the term -

Compression of morbidity? Basically it means living a full healthy life and then dropping dead. I like that. 

Key elements on how to live well and age well: 

  • Stay hydrated - drinking water never gets outdated.
  • Breathe - and breathe deeply.
  • Eat live foods - adding lots of fresh vegetables and some fruits to your diet will automatically reduce your intake of processed and refined foods.  Live foods also enliven your body.
  • Move your body - this can be as simple as getting outdoors and going for a 30 minute walk.
  • Laugh, relax and have fun - stress is probably the #1 aging factor in our society.
  • Use your brain - learn and explore new things, find new interests or start up that one thing you've always wanted to do. Going back to school and studying to be a Health & Lifestyle Coach has been my biggest step in this area.
  • Gain a Spiritual focus - positive health and longevity are linked to a spiritual and religious practice.
  • Nurture others - especially the youth. Older people have so much to offer our youth in the way of wisdom and experience. Our world needs the wisdom of age, and we need to wake up and realize the knowledge and wisdom older people can share.  Whenever my mom had a situation where I just wasn't getting something important, she would ask her dad to talk to me. GRANDpa would take me aside and we'd go for a walk in the woods or just sit in his vegetable garden and talk....All the while he was guiding me in solving the problems I was having and I didn't even know it. His words were magical.  In just a short time, he could accomplish what my mom had been trying to do for months.  Young people need the connection to older people and older people need to connect with the youth.
It is possible to delay and reduce the risks of age associated diseases such as cardio diseases, cancer, and neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, and Huntington's.  A lot of the symptoms from these ailments can be treated with some simple food and lifestyle changes. Obesity and diabetes are solvable with nutrition and lifestyle changes. It doesn't have to be big and scary changes, just simple and basic.

For example -Turmeric – India has the lowest Alzheimer’s rate in the world. Believed to be because of the use of turmeric’s anti-inflammation properties eaten at every meal.

By adding a few simple things to your diet and lifestyle, you'll be able to live well and age well. Begin today - it's never too late. By making some changes in my own life, I've seen miracles occur that I never thought possible. My chronic illnesses are reversing and I'm getting more energy and functionality. Life ROCKS!


If you would like to learn more, please feel free to contact me. I'll be accepting new clients in September, lets talk now.

All the best to you,