I love chili but not the after affects of the beans. After experimenting with 5 different beans, I found pinto beans were mild, and gentle on the digestive tract.
The blustery, cold days are upon us and my recipe for Pinto Bean Chili will give your body the protein it needs to keep warm.
A few fun tid-bits about pinto beans:
- The word 'pinto' means 'painted' in Spanish
- High in fiber - great for lowering cholesterol.
- Digest slowly thus preventing blood sugar levels from rising too rapidly - great for people with diabetes, insulin resistance, and hypoglycemia.
- When combined with a whole grain such as wild rice, the protein content is comparable to those in red meat.
- Pinto beans are the highest consumed bean in the USA.
- Packed with other nutrients such as: folate, tryptophan, manganese, vitamin B1, magnesium + more.
Along with my Pinto Bean Chili recipe that is posted HERE, you'll find a link for instructions on cooking dried pinto beans.
All my best to you,