Benefits of conscious breathing -
lower blood pressure
- manage stress attacks
- trigger relaxation response
- clear the mind
- aids in digestion - breathing deeply massages the internal organs in the body such as your intestines, colon etc. This massage increases the blood flow to these organs and increases their ability to function properly.
- releasing anger - breathing deep and counting to 10 slowly really works
- become more centered and focused
Some of my favorite breathing tips:
- Close your eyes when breathing - (helps you stay focused)
- Smile while breathing (when you smile, your body and mind think you're happy!)
- Sit comfortably
- Tune out all distractions
- Always breath in and out through your nose, not your mouth
- Picture your torso as a big jug. As you breath in,
startfilling the 'jug' from the bottom to the top with air- expanding your abdomen, then move up into your belly, then your chest. At this point your whole torso/jug should be filled with air. Now, as you exhale go in reverse - start pushing the air out from your chest working your way down to the bottom of your torso. Push as much air out as you comfortably can. Begin the process all over again. Do this several times.
- Slow deep breaths,
focuson the air going in and out of your nose, then in and out of your throat, then your lungs.
- If all else fails, just follow my 4 year
old GRANDdaughter's advice to her mother - "Mommy, just relax and breathe like
you're smelling a flower."
Inspired by what you've read? Want to get a feel for what it's like to work with me as your Wellness & Lifestyle Consultant? Sign up for a FREE initial consultation TODAY!