Most Recent Posts

Top Five Prevention Tips for Optimal Mental And Brain Health



I am a woman who is 54 years old. I feel healthier and more vibrant now than I did when I 30.


At age 28 my health began spirally down and down, until I eventually found myself in a wheelchair and sleeping over 18 hours a day. Brain fog and pain were my constant companions. 

Thus began my journey to holistic health. Slowly I learned some of the foods I could change in my diet that would ease the pain. I studied and researched every new natural cure that came along. Some were helpful, but most were just expensive failures.  My life was better, but my health and lifestyle were still deteriorating.



Two years ago, I decided to become a service missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and Alz.org  This was a big turning point for me. As I learned about  the hopelessness of those suffering from Alzheimer’s and dementia, my heart ached for these amazing people and the struggles they and their loved ones faced.



Alzheimer’s is on the rise – 
It is expected to triple by the year 2030 
(that’s just 16 years from now)


Alzheimer's affects 50% over age 85



One of the valuable things I learned was that the brain needs to be ever learning to remain healthy.



This understanding lead to my next life changing decision.



In March 2013, I enrolled at The Institute For Integrative Nutrition. If I was going to go back to school it had to be in a field that I was passionate about and that would change my life and others lives for good. 

I began a deeper study in learning how to feed my mind and body nourishing foods.

I was giving my brain the mental exercise it craved.



As part of my studies, I learned about the brain and how to create optimal brain and mental health.  Below are what I feel are the top 5 prevention tips we can take. Most of us are aware that proper sleep (8 hours a night) and exercise are important for brain function and mental health so I won’t focus on those today.



The best prevention is to decrease illnesses that increase risk, such as obesity, heart disease, diabetes, depression and sleep apnea.

  1. Diet - The first thing to do is change your diet. 
Start by replacing processed food with more whole foods - foods that are in a more natural state. 

Check for gluten sensitivity. (I offer my clients a food allergies elimination diet which is a simple way to discover what foods might be triggering an unhealthy body and mind.)

     23 studies show as a persons weight goes up in size, the size of their brain, and ability to think and reason goes down

Overweight people had less function in their frontal cortex of the brain (front 1/3 of human brain). This is the part of the brain that makes us human:

Forethought, judgement, impulse control, organization,  
planning, empathy, learning from mistakes 

If you're making bad health decisions, you are damaging the most human part of you.

·   
    The brain is about 2% of the body’s weight (about 3 lbs), but it uses 25% of the calories you consume.

·   
     Alcohol, smoking, and caffeine have an adverse affect on the brain.

       2. Genetics - Know your vulnerability

Look at your families disease history and become actively involved in feeding your body and mind properly to strengthen those vulnerable genes. 
  
       3.  Remove allergies and toxins

If you work in a nail or hair salon you have a higher risk of Alzheimer's disease. 

I started coloring my hair about a year ago and have noticed significant hair loss. I can't help but wonder what those chemicals are doing to my brain.  No more chemical hair coloring for me...I'll update you when I find a henna coloring system that is healthy and works. 

          4.  Spiritual feasting

The 3 main questions that plague man are:

What is the meaning of life?
Where did I come from?
Where am I going? 

If you can answer these questions, you are well on your way to a more peace-filled life.

Knowing that there is someone higher and more powerful looking after us, brings a strength found no where else.

Write down 5 things you are grateful for everyday. In 3 weeks, you'll notice a significant increase in your level of happiness.

     5.  Increase and heal your connections

We need other people. We need meaningful connections with other people, so disconnect from electronics and enrich your life with awesome family and friends.

Hanging out with healthy people and you'll live longer. Don't know any healthy people? Become a leader in modeling healthy living...just don't become annoying!
 
As you begin feeding your brain, you'll soon see improved energy, focus, creativity, sleep, mood, reductions in asthma, stress, blood pressure, blood sugars, and many meds.Your mind will begin to heal.



I know you’ve all heard this before, and that you already know what to do. Sometimes, the difficulty lies in doing it! I can help.



Source: Daniel Amen, MD, is a physician, double-board certified psychiatrist, teacher, and eight-time New York Times bestselling author – including Magnificent Mind at Any Age and Change Your Brain, Change Your Life. He is widely regarded as one of the world’s foremost experts on applying brain imaging science to everyday clinical practice. Dr. Amen is the founder of Amen Clinics, which have the world’s largest database of functional brain scans relating to behavior, and a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.




If you would like to learn more about IIN, please contact me today! I love my new and exciting career!
 
With love and gratitude,



Inspired by what you've read? Want to get a feel for what it's like to work with me as your Wellness & Lifestyle Consultant? Sign up for a FREE initial consultation TODAY!